As any horse owner will know, horses are a lot of upkeep but definitely well worth it. Whether you own a horse as a pet or for work reasons, one thing both parties can agree on is maintaining your horse’s health.
Enter, horse CBD. For those not aware of the mass popularity surrounding CBD, let us gladly inform you. CBD, also known as cannabidiol, is an extract from the hemp plant. Because of this and its association with marijuana, CBD gets a bad reputation through association.
Well, we’re here to clear up that misconnection.
Unlike THC, which is the main psychoactive ingredient in marijuana that causes the “euphoric” effect, CBD does not contain a psychoactive ingredient.
Instead, it has serotonin reactors which help the body increase serotonin, the body’s natural ingredient that makes you feel good.
Because of this, CBD is used for the following disorders:
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
With that said, CBD can do wonders. It can also be used in animals as well. Since we’re focusing on horses, let’s dig deeper and see how CBD can help your horse’s health.
It Can Help Calm Your Horse
If your horse is experiencing mood swings or their behavior has changed, they may be experiencing stress.
Some symptoms to look for when deciding if your horse is stressed are the following:
- Weight loss – a stressed-out horse can stop eating, which can cause them to lose an excessive amount of weight.
- Tooth grinding – another symptom of stress in horses is excessive teeth grinding.
- Frequent urination and diarrhea – if you have noticed your horse producing more manure or urinating a lot more than usual, they could certainly be stressed.
- Yawning – when horses yawn a lot more frequently than normal, this is because they are trying to release endorphins, which is another reason they are experiencing stress.
- Overall changes in behavior – if your horse is resisting training or exercise and has started biting, bucking, or rearing, this could be stress-related as well.
If your horse is showing these types of behaviors, in addition to seeing a veterinarian, you should also consider the benefits of introducing CBD into their diet as well.
Improves Overall Health
Although CBD can induce calming effects in your horse, it can also increase their overall health as well.
The following are ways in which horse CBD can improve their health:
- Digestion – giving your horse CBD can increase their digestion system, which can make their stools more regular.
- Immune function – CBD use for horses can improve their immune system, thus making them less susceptible to illnesses.
- Metabolism – horse CBD can also increase their metabolism, which will increase their energy.
- Mobility – CBD for horses joint mobility, which can help them ease pain in their joints.
Therefore, horse CBD is not only good for calming a horse but for its overall health, too. That’s a win-win in our book.
Quit Horsing Around and Try Horse CBD
Now that you know all the information, there should be nothing stopping you from using horse CBD.
You owe it to your horse to give them the best care possible. Since we can’t communicate with horses like we can with people, it’s especially important that you pay attention to your horse’s health and the symptoms they are exhibiting.
You know your horse and know what is and isn’t normal behavior. We instinctively know this as pet owners.
Being aware of the signs of declining health can help you make informed decisions on getting your horse the treatment that it needs.